Hiding in Plain Sight...
Discover the New Dating Rules Hidden in Plain Sight
The dating world has changed and the new dating rules aren’t difficult to spot. As technology grows, new dating demands arise along with it.
Keep up with these demands and see your relationship bloom. Let yourself get behind, however, and you’re likely to create challenges for your relationship without even meaning to!
Take a look at these dating and relationship rules in the modern world:
1. Recognize the impact of smartphones. In previous decades, smartphones didn’t exist. Now, your smartphone is your connection to the world (and your partner). They keep you informed, entertained, and can affect your relationship in multiple ways.
○ For example, your partner knows if you’re carrying your phone with you. If you don’t respond to messages, but post on social media with your phone, your partner may feel hurt that you’re ignoring them.
2. Understand the importance of social media. Social media is a large part of the dating world, and it can’t be ignored. It affects every stage of the relationship and can doom some from the beginning. How do you use social media while you date someone?
○ Have you considered the impact of sharing your dating life secrets with the rest of the world? Even if you have privacy settings set to high, your friends and family can still see your posts. Are you prepared to answer questions about your new love?
○ In addition, if your ex is on social media and can see your posts, are you ready to deal with the backlash?
○ Notice how your partner feels about responding to their social media posts. Did you know that some couples end their relationship because one of them didn’t like a social media post? The like button, heart button, and other social media features can matter!
○ If your partner cares about the number of likes and hearts on a social media post, it’s important to respond appropriately.
3. Establish a work-life balance. Your job can have a strong impact on your relationship. Today’s world has seen more people spend longer hours at the office.
○ It’s more difficult for couples today to find a life-work balance. This is caused by longer hours and more demanding work. In addition, both partners in a relationship may be working.
○ Make it a point to balance your work with the rest of your life - especially with the time you spend with your new partner.
4. Stay aware of your technology use. Technology can help people connect, but it can also tear them apart. If you’re too absorbed in the latest gadget to pay attention to your partner, you may want to evaluate your technology use.
○ For example if you’re constantly checking your email on your date, your partner may feel unloved and frustrated.
○ Couples may benefit from establishing rules for technology use during dates. Maybe you’ll make a rule about turning off your phone during a romantic dinner, or a rule about no tablet or phone use during an argument.
○ Try making some technology guidelines that work for you and your partner and support your relationship.
Today’s world is having a strong impact on dating and changing the rules. However, remaining aware of these trends can help you to enhance - rather than detract from - your relationships.